About the Authors
aka “The Property Lady”
Melissa Opie bought her first property at a very young age. Since then, she has continued to learn, grow and invest, inspired by a love of property and a joy of helping others achieve their financial goals.
Melissa grew up understanding that not all families had the same financial pressures as hers. ‘I quickly realised that not everyone had to worry about money like we did. I wanted the flexibility to make my own choices. I knew I would have to roll up my sleeves and make it happen for myself.’
Melissa’s work ethic was passed down from her parents, who sent her to a private school with the proceeds from selling a car they won in a raffle. This taught Melissa about the importance of using whatever you have to invest in your future.
Melissa started her professional working life as a legal secretary. But her career came to abrupt halt when, at the age of 19, she was diagnosed with cancer and told she had only months to live. Refusing to accept her prognosis, she continued to work, organising her work around her chemotherapy. This represented a turning point in Melissa’s life, forcing a reassessment of her career goals and personal priorities.
It was then that Melissa decided to pursue her first love: real estate, landing a job as a receptionist for developer Central Equity. She was soon taken off the switchboard to work in sales, selling her first off-the-plan penthouse at the age of 23.
After getting her agents representative license, Melissa worked for different real estate companies, continually learning and driven by the words of her father: ‘There is no such thing as can’t – you’re either too lazy or you don’t want it bad enough’.
Melissa progressively rebuilt her property portfolio, this time with the knowledge she’d gained about the importance of asset protection. In 2005 Melissa started her own business, Keyhole Property Investments (KPI) www.kpi.net.au, a buyers advocacy, vendors advocacy and property management business which services Mebourne wide. KPI is recognised in the industry and in the community as a leader in its field.
Today, Melissa is still in love with property (and her husband!) but also enjoys helping others to reach their financial goals through property investment. She is passionate about prompting people to act to ensure they can make sound choices about their future, and pass on their newfound financial knowledge to their children.
‘Even if there is still a pension when we retire, who wants to live on two-minute noodles? I want to help educate people so they can make more informed decisions.’
Melissa is a qualified trainer, holding a Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training, and runs courses for the Real Estate Institute of Victoria to teach agents how to become buyers advocates. She is also qualified mortgage broker, holding a Certificate IV in Financial Services (Finance/Mortgage Broking).
Melissa is regularly interviewed as a property expert by ABC Radio, The Age, Sydney Morning Herald and Herald Sun newspapers, Australian Property Investor Magazine. She has also been interviewed by the City of Moonee Valley as an example of an inspirational business woman.
If you want to stay in the property loop you can follow her for market updates on Twitter Follow "The Property Lady" on Twitter.
Join the group Keyhole Property Investments (KPI™) on Facebook KPI™ Facebook by clicking the "like" button at the top of the page to stay abreast of the inside news and events.
Get Melissa's lastest book
Whether you are a first home buyer or novice investor, Find the Right Property, Buy at the Right Price will help you maximise the investment potential of your next home and secure your financial future. Tackle the biggest financial decision you’ll ever make – with confidence! Click here for more details.
- Finalist REB Buyer's Agent of the Year 2016
- Finalist REIA Innovation Award 2016
- Winner Investor Choice Awards Buyers Agent of Victoria 2015
- Winner REIV Innovation Award 2015
- Finalist REBA Best Buyer's Agent of Australia 2015
- Finalist REIV Buyer's Agent of the Year 2015
- Finalist REIV Buyer's Agent of the Year 2014
- Finalist REIV Small Residential Agency of the Year 2014
- Finalist REIV Innovation Award 2013
- Finalist REIV Buyer's Agent of the Year 2013
- Finalist REIV Small Residential Real Estate Agency of the Year 2013
- Winner REIV Innovation Award 2012
- Finalist REIV Buyer's Agent of the Year 2012
- Finalist REIV Small Residential Real Estate Agency of the Year 2012
- Winner REIV Buyer’s Agent of the Year 2011
- Finalist REIV Buyer’s Residential Agency of the Year (Small) 2011
- Finalist REIV Innovation Award 2011
- Winner Leader Business Awards – Melbourne's Local Favourites Real Estate Agency 2010
- Finalist REIV Buyer’s Agent of the Year 2010
- Finalist REIV Buyer’s Residential Agency of the Year (Small) 2010
- Winner Leader Business Awards – Melbourne's Overall Most Favourite Real Estate Agency 2009
- Winner Leader Business Achiever Awards in the category of Real Estate 2008
- Finalist REIV Buyer’s Agent of the Year 2009
- Winner REIV Buyer’s Agent of the Year 2008
- Winner REIV Buyer's Agent of the Year 2007 (joint winner)
- Winner City of Moonee Valley Micro Business Award 2007
- Finalist REIV Special Achievement Award 2007
- Finalist Moonee Valley Business Awards Female Entrepreneur 2007
- Finalist Moonee Valley Business Awards Female Entrepreneur 2006